Full Stack Engineer
FULL STACK ENGINEER
A fantastic opportunity to join a long established UK based linguistics company and build both internal and client facing software systems that drive the efficiency of far reaching international operations.
You will work on products that help Global Voices more that double in scale over the next few years by changing the way translation and interpretation services are delivered. You will also have the opportunity to work on two new initiatives that truly make a difference to people’s lives.
At Global Voices we are on a mission to increase efficiency through great software that is both innovative and a delight to use. We are seeking a full stack engineer to join a small team that is building a complex ecosystem using modern software engineering practices and languages.
You will have the potential to develop your skills under the mentorship of others in the company and the opportunity develop your leadership skills as the team scales in the next 12 months.
You will be one of the first senior engineers to join the team following a decision to replace legacy systems with a new platform that will take Global Voices to new heights, working under the direction of a newly appointed CTO. Working with Node and React in a completely serverless AWS infrastructure.
You will work as a senior member of the team to build a suite of business applications, APIs, translation services and specialised video communication tools. You will bring an in-depth understanding of the Node / React stack and of deployment best practice. You will relish the opportunity to coach and mentor more junior members of the team and to collaborate with, challenge and contribute to the strategies of the entire organisation.
You will have experience of building projects from scratch in Node / React including all elements of the stack from database design through API and UI. You will have excellent visualisation skills and be able to plan a component hierarchy from a flat design. You will be excited about creating great user experiences and understand that great interfaces are as much about feel as they are about looks.
You will enjoy working closely with others to flush out the very best ideas secure in the knowledge of your own skills and leadership to then bring these to production.
You are someone who has made a career out of confidently delivering software projects and knowing that they have made a significant contribution to the the goals of the organisation they serve.
DAY TO DAY:
Above all you will write, commit, test and deploy production ready secure code that advances the goals of the business. In a single day you must be capable of managing multiple simultaneous lines of work and communication, you will be energised by working with cross-functional agile teams, based locally and remotely.
As a significant contributor to the design and implementation of business systems you will be influential in helping to structure an “agile” process that is fit for the team size and goals of Global Voices. You will contribute daily to the scoping, estimating, planning, allocation and execution of software design and development. You will work with senior management, product designers, developers, devops and testers, acting as technical architect at times and with a key role in the evolution of the entire tech operation.
You will be constantly faced with and required to solve business and technical challenges through and inquisitive mindset and with the ability to lead discussions internally and with clients to understand requirements and propose solutions and architectures that deliver innovation, value and efficiency in business process.
As a Full Stack Developer you will
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
- Work with the other engineers to deliver intuitive user-facing features that are a joy to use.
- Share your feedback in design and code reviews to ensure the team is constantly raising the bar.
- Create secure resilient code that can be deployed in a scalable fault-tolerant serverless infrastructure.
- Feel a real sense of achievement from completing and delivering projects in less time than you thought possible.
- Never say “that’s not my job”.
- Always take time to mentor more junior members of the team so that one day they may be as awesome as you are.
You’ve delivered several large agile software projects in the past covering a variety of products including responsive web applications. You relish the challenge of working on multiple projects with different tech stacks. You’ve worked in a multi-disciplined and highly capable development team, designing and building internal and external facing business systems and data service with an emphasis on global availability, scalability resilience and performance. You uphold high engineering standards and in documenting and explaining these standards you been able to ensure that the whole team understands and adheres to them.
- Active involvement in the design and development of applications (DB, API, UI).
- Active involvement in the delivery of software, including estimation, planning and releases.
- Work collaboratively in a team of engineers ranging from architect leve to intern.
- Help foster an agile engineering culture that best fits the Global Voices team size, velocity and culture.
- Work with product managers and internal business stakeholders, and the CTO to define requirements and plans.
- Compile and maintain good quality systems documentation using tools such as Confluence, Jira and GraphQL Introspection.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of good engineering patterns and practices within the team and across the wider tech community.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 10 years commercial software development experience.
- Minimum of 4 years commercial experience delivering Node / React.
- Good knowledge and experience of developing REST or GraphQL web services and APIs.
- Knowledge and experience of deploying to cloud services, particularly AWS.
- Some knowledge and experience of database development, including MySQL.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A strong understanding of security practices necessary to protect internet facing systems from sustained attack.
- Experience of the unique challenges managing state in highly scalable fault tolerant environments.
- Strong experience of Material UI and Styled Components.
- Ability to implement pixel-perfect interfaces based on provided UI designs.
- Knowledge of UI optimisation techniques, especially when working with large datasets.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of localisation (L18n).
- Passion for innovation.
- Some knowledge of data querying and manipulation using GraphQL is desirable.
- Interest in business strategy and how quality forware can drive innovation and efficiecy.
- Experience with mobile application development using React Native.
- Experience working with video chat/conferencing platforms such as Vidyo.
- Experience storing unstructured JSON data within the contect of a relational database.
- Past experience of PHP (as migration away from PHP is relevant in some projects).
THE GLOBAL VOICES TECH STACK:
Global Voices is in the process of migrating from legacy systems written in PHP to new platforms developed in Node and React. The main database underpinning business systems was and remains MySQL and the business also users Oracle NetSuite as and Enterprise Resource Planning and accounting solution.
- MySQL – the principal business database deployed in AWS Arora
- Node – backend API deployed on Amazon AWS Lambda
- GraphQL – Written in Node, deployed to AWS Lambda accessed via API Gateway as the main API between the UI and the DB
- React – frontend user interface
- MaterialUI – providing consistency of components in the UI
- React Native – iOS and Android mobile application
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Cognito, (Amplify)
- CodeCommit (GIT)
Process and tools:
- AGILE – estimates, story points, sprints, demos and flexibility
- GIt – code versioning
- Jira and Confluence – documentation, documentation and ….
- VS Code – the IDE of choice
- Serverless & Apex – deployments
This role will be based at our headquarters in Stirling, Scotland, UK.
MODE OF WORK:
Full time, permanent contract.
Competitive, depending on experience and suitability.
- We are able to offer home working 2 or 3 days per week with this position.
- After 12 months of service, you will become eligible for private healthcare through Vitality Life.
- Ample, free on-site parking.
- Fast-paced, energetic culture.
- Annual company-sanctioned overseas holidays.